1. Medical professionals have legal and ethical duty to help strangers when their services are called upon.
2. In Australia, there are no reported cases of a doctor being sued for negligently assisting at an emergency, but there are now cases where a doctor has been sued successfully for refusing to assist.
3. Compliance with, or suspension of a “resuscitation plan” during surgery should discussed and documented.
4. Regarding end-of-life decisions, the normal administration of medical treatment includes the withdrawing and withholding of treatment.
5. As a doctor, ask yourself “Would I be surprised if this patient were to die in the next 12 months?’ If the answer is “no” then a resuscitation plan should be in place.
Resus Council Guidance